Mind-blowing Exposure & ROI: How To Get Television News Coverage
Discover the secrets behind the single most effective free form of advertising.
- A first hand account from a veteran broadcast journalist
- Why coverage on broadcast television news is so desirable
- Quantifying the monterrey value of being on the news
- How to set about getting television news coverage
– – Hi, I’m James Rostance, and welcome to The 414. Each week with some of the greatest minds in marketing. And joining me today is veteran BBC broadcast journalist and founder of Flame PR, Kully Dhadda.
– So, Kully, throughout your experience at the BBC and producing content for Business Breakfast, you regularly witnessed something that you believe that most marketers don’t give serious consideration to. Could you tell me about that?
– Television news offers huge potential for marketers. And if they can put together the ingredients of their story into a package which makes itself really appealing for producers, then they can very quickly pick up phenomenal coverage. Thinking about an interesting location, a case study, an engaging spokesperson, all of those different facets can really be very powerful in making their proposition attractive and ultimately land in television coverage.
– What would you say makes coverage on broadcast television news so desirable then?
– Whether it’s TV or whether it’s radio, broadcast coverage has enormous impact and influence for every marketer that I’ve come across. And I think it’s because they have this opportunity to transport their brand to millions upon millions of viewers and listeners across the UK, across the world, and the message remains completely true. It’s unaltered, unchanged, and that in itself carries a huge value for these organisations.
– So how would you quantify the monetary value of being on the news?
– In a very rapidly changing media landscape, broadcast has really remained robust when it comes to value. When companies and brands are appearing on the TV news, those are highly sought after editorial opportunities. They’re not opportunities you can actually buy. And so even if you were to compare them say to advertising slots, you would very quickly run from hundreds of thousands of pounds into millions especially for news slots repeated whether it’s in the UK or around the world.
– So the big question is: How do you set about getting television news coverage? And what do you need to consider?
– So what you really need to think about when you’re a marketer and putting together a strategy for broadcast, is to sit down and think about all the different ingredients that you need to make your story really appealing, really compelling for a TV producer. And thinking about the sequence, thinking about what might really appeal to specific shows and the audiences of those shows, and if you’ve got that right, then you can’t help but win.
– And what else would you say is really central to success in all of this?
– The relationship and contacts make a huge difference. Spending time getting to know the editors, the reporters, the producers, their specific pressures, and the editorial values that they are operating under, that really is important. And then, it’s the pitch. Getting that pitch absolutely right, researching the audience of the particular show, and preparing it and presenting it so that it works for the producer, that’s the killer ingredient.
– Kully, thank you ever so much for joining me.
– Thank you.
– And if you would like to learn more about how you can get featured on television news, then visit The414.net to watch extended coverage in the 414 Extra. I’m James Rostance. Thank you for watching.
About James Rostance
He is an experienced broadcast television producer, as well as a three time published author in video production and marketing with 20 years of experience in the field.
As CEO of WOW Video Production, he runs one of the country’s leading video production companies.
The 414 EXTRA
This is where we get the chance to look a little deeper into the most interesting elements of the content that we’ve just covered in the main show.
Kully shares with us the exact steps you need to go through to set about getting coverage on broadcast television news.
She also gives guidance on how to bring your story to life and how businesses that are not at face value exciting, can indeed create a story worthy of coverage.
And Kully also shares one of her most favourite recent examples of news coverage she secured for a client with outstanding success.
– Hi, I’m James Rostance, and welcome to The 414 Extra. Now, this is where we get to dive a little deeper into the content we’ve just covered in the main show. And joining me still is Kully Dhadda from Flame PR. And Kully, I thought it would be cool now to find out the steps that someone would need to go through if they want for themselves, or their company, to be featured on television news. What are the steps that they should go through?
– Well the first thing is, they should have a think about what it is in their particular organisation that is going to be really appealing and touch the nerve of the nation, and appeal to the end audiences of broadcasters. And essentially, that is what would make their particular message appealing. And it can be a number of things. It can be, for example, an issue that’s very live in the nation’s news. It can be a spokesperson who can talk about a range of really topical issues. All of these things can make a company very, very appealing.
– Okay, so there are some companies, I imagine, have got more visual things to show, like say a go-karting centre, that’s fun and exciting. But what about businesses that haven’t got so much visual things going on, for example, a pension fund, how on earth would they get coverage on television news?
– It’s a great challenge, and I think it’s a challenge that a lot of companies have when it comes to making their particular company product appealing to the broadcasters, is the pictures. What are the pictures going to be? A pension fund, or whether it’s block chain, how do you make those areas exciting for TV producers? And with the right amount of thinking and creativity, you can actually turn a really dry subject, like pensions, like block chain, into compelling television. It’s about finding the location. It’s about building the film, building the sequences, and the interviewees that are going to go into those sequences, on location, and make them pretty pictures, whether it’s a family in a case study, whether it’s somebody’s history, somebody’s story in pictures. All of those things, there is a real art to turning them into compelling broadcasts, but it can be done, and when you do it, it’s actually incredibly satisfying when you see the end result of something which was technically quite dry, but suddenly come to life and suddenly become really great TV, and seeing it broadcast is even more satisfying.
– So you mentioned case studies just then, that’s something that all businesses will have and can relate to. How would a broadcaster or the news pick up and run with that? How do you package a customer case study for the news to run with?
– It’s a whole range of different things that come together. It’s not one particular thing. It’s a bit like baking a cake, there’s a whole host of ingredients that need to go into that, and it’s when it all comes together that it’s particularly satisfying, but it is the relationships, it is the contacts, it is understanding what the news hooks and the news pegs are that are coming up that will dictate the agenda for the journalist, and then it’s packaging those location films, the brand ambassador you’re going to be using, and pitching them just at exactly the right time so that everything falls into place for the producer. It’s a range of things that all need to come together.
– And what is one of say, your most recent favourite examples of a story that you’ve had placed on the news for one of your clients?
– One of my favourite examples is, it’s a very dry area of mobile payments, and very hard and abstract concept in many ways, and ahead of its time as well, if you looked at it in its very pure sense. But actually, we managed to find a retailer who is launching mobile payments in their stores, and that particular sequence got filmed by CBS America, who then broadcasted out across their affiliate network, and over 150 broadcasts of that particular film were published in America and broadcast in America, which is just unbelievably phenomenal really for the client that we were working with, but actually incredibly satisfying for us.
– Kully, thank you very much for your time today, and I wish you the best in the future.
– Thank you.